We held a co-ordination meeting on the 16th March 2015. Like a mini-conference, the aim was to bring together many of the existing projects operating in this area, towards a joint shared understanding.
We had presentations on the following topics:
- The Sustainable Sewerage Strategy by Martin Kennedy of Northumbrian Water
- Developments, Proposals and Opportunities to influence / SUDS and new developments by Andrew Holmes of North Tyneside Council
- The Integrated Plan by John Robinson and Kelly Graham of Newcastle City Council
- The Water Framework Directive ‘reasons for not attaining good status’ and the Waterbody Action Plan by Rob Carr of the Environment Agency
- The Evidence & Measures initiative by Abi Mansley of the Tyne Rivers Trust
- The Rivers Restoration recommendations by Maria Hardy of the Environment Agency
- The Living Waterways project by Steve Lowe of the Northumberland Wildlife Trust
A small group of representatives met on the 13th October 2015 at Ouseburn Farm, following on from the “Evidence & Measures” workshops in the summer.
We looked in detail at the actions that were agreed then, broadly along the topics of “planning & development”; “waste water” and “land management”.
- The Tyne Rivers Trust will lead on establishing a “planning and development” task and finish group
- NIRES are leading on drawing together masters research projects out of the list of actions
- Northumbrian Water will lead on establishing a “research and investigations” task and finish group
- Representatives from the Environment Agency and Natural England will co-ordinate some actions relating to farms, golf courses and race courses.
We held a follow-up to this meeting on the 19th November 2015 at the City of Newcastle Golf Club. We had presentations on the following topics:
- The River Restoration project by Groundwork
- The Ouseburn Evidence & Measures project by Abi Mansley of Tyne Rivers Trust
- The Integrated Plan by John Robinson of Newcastle City Council
- North Tyneside’s Local Plan by Andrew Holmes of North Tyneside Council
The notes from the meeting can be downloaded here. After the meeting, Paul Davison from Northumbrian Water Group kindly led us on a site visit of Brunton Park Flood Attenuation Scheme.